Pheasant Wild Rice Stuffing
Description: Roast Pheasant with a wild rice stuffing for a scrumptious sit down dinner!
Servings: For 2 Pheasants
- 1 dressed pheasant, 2.5 to 3 lbs., cleaned and lightly salted
- 1 cup wild rice (this makes 3 cups when cooked)
- 3 cups day-old bread - cut in small cubes
- 1 cup onions - sliced paper-thin
- 1 cup celery
- 1 tsp. leaf sage (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups good chicken stock or one chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. of parsley, cut fine
- 1stick of butter
Preparation: This is sufficient stuffing for two pheasant. Clean the pheasant then lightly salt the inside cavity.
Cooking: Wash one cup of wild rice three times or until the rinse water comes off clear. Drop the wild rice into 4 cups of boiling water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not stir. Sautee the onions and celery in 1/4 cup butter until translucent. Then add parsley and cook only until hot. Combine all ingredients and fill slightly-salted bird. Use heavy cord and tie securely around tail and legs so as to bring them all together. Brush bird with melted butter and dust with salted flour. Bake in 325 F oven. A young, mature pheasant will require two hours in the oven. Any remaining dressing can be placed in covered baking dish and cooked in the oven alongside the bird.