Organic Bison Kebabs
- Marinade Ingredients
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Meat & Vegetables
- 2 lbs bison kebobs (filet chunks)
- 1 large zucchini or summer squash (about 1/2 pound), ends trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1 inch thick slices
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large red or sweet onion, ends trimmed, peeled, halved lengthwise, core discarded, each half cut into 4 wedges and each wedge cut crosswise into thirds
- Four 12 inch metal skewers
Preparation: 1. FOR THE MARINADE: Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth, about 45 seconds. Transfer 3/4 cup marinade to large bowl and set aside.
OR substitute Blackwing Executive Chef Marinade (1 bottle) instead of using marinade above.
2. FOR THE BISON AND VEGETABLES: Toss remaining marinade and bison in second large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 2 hours, tossing bison after 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and toss with reserved marinade. Cover and let vegetables marinate at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
3. Remove bison from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Tightly thread bison onto two 12 inch metal skewers, rolling or folding meat as necessary to maintain 2 inch cubes. Thread vegetables onto two 12 inch metal skewers, in alternating pattern of zucchini, pepper, and onion.
Cooking: FOR A GAS GRILL: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Place meat skewers in center of grill directly over coals and vegetable skewers near edge of coals, but still over fire. Grill bison skewers for 6-8 minutes, turning every 3-4 minutes, until well browned, slightly charred, and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 125 degrees for medium-rare. Transfer bison skewers to serving platter, loosely tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes. Continue to grill vegetable skewers about 5 minutes longer (17 to 21 total minutes), turning every 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender and slightly charred.
Serving: Transfer vegetables to a platter with the bison meat. Remove meat and vegetables from skewers and serve!