Bison Stew w/Cinnamon, Cloves & Tomatoes
Description: BK's Bison Stew Meat w/Cinnamon, Cloves & Tomatoes
- 3 lbs Buffalo Stew Meat (optional proteins: Elk, Venison, Goat, Wild Boar, Organic Beef
- 1 1/2 tsp Table Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Medium Onions, Chopped Coarse (about 2 cups)
- 3 Medium Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tbsp Unbleached All-Purpose FLour
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Red Win (preferably full-bodied)
- 1 cup Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Canned Chopped Tomatoes (with their juice)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 cup Frozen Pearl Onions (cook according to package directions)
- 1/3 cup Dried Currants
- 1/4 cup Minced Fresh Parsley Leaves
Preparation: Heat oven to 300 degrees. Place buffalo stew in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in large dutch oven (cooking pot); add buffalo in two separate batches. Brown meat on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch, adding remaining tablespoon of oil if needed. Remove meat and set aside. Add onions to now empty dutch oven (cooking pot); saute until almost softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic; continue to saute about 30 seconds longer. Stir in flour; cook until lightly colored, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomato paste. Add wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have stuck to dutch oven. Add broth, canned tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme and spices; bring to simmer. Add meat; return to simmer. Cover and place dutch oven (cooking pot) in oven.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet; add frozen pearl onions and saute until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. When meat is almost tender, about 1 1/2 hrs, add pearl onions and currants to stew. Cover and return to oven. Cook until meat and pearl onions are tender, 20-30 minutes longer.
Stir in parsley, adjust seasonings, and serve!
Serving: Cheers to Healthy Eating!