Baked Crunchy Boneless Pork Chops
- 4 organic center-cut boneless pork chops, 6 ounces each
- 4 slices white sandwich bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small minced shallot (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour plus 6 tablespoons
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- lemon wedges
Preparation: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Dissolve 1/4 cup salt in 1 quart water in medium container or gallon-sized zipper-lock bag. Submerge chops, cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes. Rinse chops under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
Meanwhile, pulse bread in food processor until coarsely ground, you should have about 3 1/2 cups of crumbs. Transfer crumbs to rimmed baking sheet and add shallot, garlic, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss until crumbs are evenly coated with oil. Bake until deep golden brown and dry, about 15 minutes, stirring twice during baking time. (Do not turn off oven) Cool to room temperature. Toss crumbs with Parmesan, thyme, and parsley.
Place 1/4 cup flour in pie plate. In second pie plate, whisk egg whites and mustard until combined; add remaining 6 tabelspoons flour and whisk until almost smooth, which pea-sized lumps remaining.
Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. Spray wire rack with nonstick cooking spray and place in rimmed baking sheet. Season chops with pepper. Dredge 1 pork chop in flour, shake off excess. Using tongs, coat with egg mixture; let excess drip off. Coat all sides of chop with bread crumb mixture, pressing gently so that thick layer of crumbs adheres to chop. Transfer breaded chop to wire rack. Repeat with remaining chops 3 chops.
Cooking: Bake until thermometer inserted into center of chops registers 150 degrees, 17 to 25 minutes. Let rest on rack 5 minutes before serving with lemon wedges.